Makeup, Skincare And Beauty Experts Give You 143 Makeup Tricks And Beauty Tips So You Can Suck Less And Glow(Know!) More
Whether it’s to brighten dull eyes after a long night out, or to learn eyeshadow blending tips, we’ve got your covered. From traditional beauty tips and tricks to modern approaches, we will help you to revamp and simplify your beauty routine without having to sacrifice your style.
According to an article from dailymail.com, most women spend over 2 years of their entire life applying makeup. Most of the beauty products available on the market use toxic chemicals and can end up destroying your skin rather than preserving your beauty. Fortunately, there are amazing natural tricks that can highlight your beauty and maintain a healthy body at the same time.
We have compiled an epic gathering of knowledge, including 143 makeup tips and tricks, with 8 guest experts and makeup artists from the industry.
Free bonus: Download this entire list as a PDF. Easily save it on your computer for quick reference. Includes 10 bonus ideas not found in this post!
Browse by Category: Click any of the links below to jump to each category.
Brightening The Eyes
Green Beauty and Non Comedogenicity (Zero comedogenic!)
Guest Expert and Model Taylor Cherie!
- Skincare is essential, but it’s also important not to over do it. Your routine should include only a few products targeted to your specific skin needs. Too much of something good, can end up being a bad thing. To avoid problems, introduce only one new product at a time into your skincare routine. That way, if your skin starts to act out, you’ll know the reason.
- Here are several tips to help reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles:
- Hydrate – keep the area hydrated to avoid wrinkles and fine lines
- Depuff – use a serum or cream to firm and smooth the eye contours
- Brighten – apply a lavender or peach color corrector underneath your concealer
- Try before you buy! Not many people know that you can sample products before buying them in most stores. Sephora, along with most beauty counters, will make samples of any product you’re interested in trying. Sometimes there are limitations though, such as the number of samples you’re able to get in one visit and whether the product is able to be transferred into a sampling container. There are also several sampling and beauty box services which send samples right to your doorstep. It’s so exciting when you get your box in the mail because the products inside are a total surprise.
- If you plan on creating a smoky eye or doing a winged liner, consider applying your eye makeup before your face makeup. If you do your eyes first, you can wipe away any fallen shadow, misplaced liner or flecks of mascara to ensure a clean and smooth face application. This way, you’ll be able to easily erase your mistakes with makeup remover and not worry about removing any of the face products if you had applied them beforehand.
- Remember, no matter the tips given, there is no “right” way to apply your makeup. Makeup is an art and you are the artist. Have fun with it!
- Apply powder to your face before applying foundation to cut down on excess oil and shine. Either loose or pressed powder will do the trick it depends on your preference. This is an amazing trick for those who have problems with oily skin throughout the day. After cleansing your face and applying moisturizer and primer, evenly apply the powder over your entire face and continue to apply your foundation as you normally would for a soft, light matte finish.
- A popular trick for women who tend to have dry skin is to add a few drops of a light moisturizing oil, such as jojoba or almond oil, to liquid foundation. You only need 2-3 drops to boost the moisturizing power of your foundation giving the skin a light, dewy finish.
- Use your jawbone to help you match the perfect shade of foundation to your skin tone. Find 3 different shades that closely match to your skin tone. Using the back of your hand or arm is not the best way to match your foundation because the skin on your arms and hands tends to be tanner than your face. The foundation shade that sinks into your skin almost becoming invisible is the one you want to go with.
- Use a matte finish liquid foundation to minimize pores and reduce shine. Liquid foundation can sometimes make your skin appear oily and shiny. Matte finish foundations are usually not oil based and do not contain reflectors which can make the skin look shinier than normal. The idea of wearing matte makeup correctly starts with proper skin care.
- Foundation is the first step towards a flawless skin. Make sure you get a perfect color by testing it in broad daylight. If the color of the foundation vanishes without blending, then it is the perfect one. Cleanse and moisturize your skin. Give the moisturizer around 5 minutes to sink in.
- How much coverage do you wish to apply? Use your fingers or make up brushes for little foundation coverage. A cosmetic sponge will serve you best if you want more coverage. The concealer comes after the foundation and not before. Finally use luminous powder and give your skin the beauty it deserves.
- When applying your make up, ensure that you have all the required brushes, materials and tools. Notice that once you mix the foundation and the toner, the results are pretty amazing. Your flaws should not worry you; the concealer is there to help you cover them, just fall in love with them. Again, first fix the shape of your face, and then choose the right colors for every bit of makeup, ensuring that you apply in the right way.
- To get the innocent, angelic look to your makeup apply highlighter to your cheeks after applying blush. Apply the product to the apples of your cheekbones for an instant, natural looking glow.
- Get a fuller pout by dabbing a little highlighter on your lips on top of your lipstick. The key to pulling off this look is to apply the highlighter right to the middle of the top and bottom lips, paying special attention to your cupid’s bow.
- After a long night, mix a little bit of your highlighter with concealer and apply under the eyes with a makeup sponge or beauty blender. This will brighten the area under your eyes and make you look as if you’ve had the best night’s sleep even if you’ve only slept for a couple of hours.
- Use highlighter as an eyeshadow primer. You necessarily don’t have to purchase a primer to get pigmented colors that last. Using highlighter as a primer not only encourages your eyeshadow to stay put but it also lifts the brow and adds a shimmery finish to your look.
- Your highlighter is meant to attract some light. It creates an illusion of height and brightness. You will be lit from within you. Almost every celebrity uses it because of the amazing results in gives. It also matches your contouring. A perfect highlighter is one that matches the color of your favorite jewelry.
- For a flawless finish, make sure to use brushes as compared to your hands because it gives you more control. An angled brush is best when applying the highlighter on larger face areas such as the cheeks.
- A blender brush gives an amazing result when used for smaller parts of your face. You will maintain your smooth youthful face if you apply the highlighter on the right parts. It should only be applied on specific parts, such as cheeks and around the eyes to highlight some features.
Sahony Bourdier (AKA Sazy)
- Use a cream highlighter under the actual powder highlight
- When you want your highlighter to pop at all angles, start down to the apples of your cheek and bring it up to your cheekbones, continuing all the way up to your temple.
- Highlight the arch of your brow… a natural face-lift!
- Dry Skin can use a creamer highlighter, oily skin a powder highlighter.
- Create your own creamy highlighter. Use one of your favorite oils and blend the powder with a brush. You can create a beautiful creamy highlighter glow.
- Using your tips of your fingers helps blend by using the warmth of your finger.
- Apply highlighter to the highest point of your facial features. Brow bone, tear duct, bridge of nose and all options of emphasizing
- See Sahony’s accompanying video for details on all these tips
- Visit Sahony Bourdier (AKA Sazy) @
The eyes are the windows to the soul and they are among the most important features of a human face. There are a lot of ways to define your eyes using makeup. Unfortunately, the known eye makeup like the mascara, eye liner, contour, eye shadow and highlight can be very confusing at times. You might think that you got what it takes to make your eyes beautiful with makeup only to realize that you did it the wrong way. Here are beauty tricks for the eyes:
- Know your eye shape: Understanding the shape of your eyes is the first step to figuring out how, where and what to apply as eye makeup. There are different eye shapes, for example, the wide set, hooded set, upturned set, downturned set, protruding set, monoloid, and deep set. If you have a problem on determining the shape of your eyes, you can do a simple research online or seek help from an eye makeup artist to help you figure out. All these shapes have different makeup styles that vary from one shape to another.
- Start with an eye shadow primer: You do not want your eye shadow to wear off fast or crease on your eyes. To prevent this from happening, you should use a primer to make your eyelid smooth. By doing this you will ensure that your eyeshadow stays in place all day long.
- Curl your eyelashes to make your eyes look bigger: Applying mascara is one of the easiest and the best ways of defining your eyes. However, when you use a lash curler, you will open up the eyes and make them more beautiful. The best way to do this is by using the curler before applying your mascara. Make sure that your eyelashes are well curled or you can pull out your lashes.
- Use two mascaras instead of one for beautifully enhanced lashes: For enhanced beautiful eyelashes, it is a good idea to use two mascaras instead of single mascara. Use one for thickening and the other for lengthening. You can softly shake the brush of the thickening formula at the base of your eyelashes to create fullness and to cover the root, then use the lengthening mascara to add extra flair from the middle to the tips of the lashes.
- Do not connect the bottom and top liner: This is yet another mistake that many people make when applying the eyeliner. If you want to make your eyes look wider and beautiful, avoid connecting the top and bottom eyeliner. By leaving a gap between the two liners creates an illusion that they are wider.
- Find the perfect eyeliner shade for your eye color: Black eyeliner is loved by many because it is a classic and can be used for any eye color. However, if you want to make your eyes pop, it is advisable to use a color that complements your eyes. You can try a colorful mascara if you do not mind being a little adventurous.
- Even out your eyelids with concealer: If your eyelids tend to look veiny or a little reddish, you can use a concealer to remove the color variation and prepare for eye shadow. This will ensure that the eye shadow settles perfectly in and there is no uneven skin complexion around the eye.
- Apply a layer of powder between mascara coats: After applying the first coat of mascara, you can apply a thin layer of translucent powder over you eyelashes and then apply the second coat. Doing this adds extra length and enhanced volume to your eyelashes without making it look clumpy.
- Put your brow pencils or eyeliner in the freezer before sharpening them: Have you ever wondered why your eyeliner or pencil crumbles while you are using it? The reason is that the pencil is dry and flaky. This means that it cannot produce the best result as you want it to. To ensure that your pencil works well and produces even lines, you should freeze it for a few minutes before sharpening it and using it. This way you will ensure that the tip stay intact even after several strokes.
- No eye makeup is complete without a touch up in your eyelashes. Eyelashes are an important part of your eye. It is important to point out that having well-designed and beautiful eyelashes help in enhancing a woman’s self-esteem as well as add elegance and charm to one’s look.
- According to expert advice, you should always apply make up around your eyes before any other makeup. This helps ensure that colored speckles do not ruin your foundation or concealer. As such, you first apply the shadow, then the eye liner and mascara.
- Before applying any make up around your eyes clean your face, ensuring that the previous makeup completely clears up. You can consider some concealer or primer. Using a small brush, apply some eye shadow on the crease, brow bone and lid. Once you blend it all, and then apply eyeliner to the upper eyelid.
- Use your eyelash curler to make sure that your eyelashes are well curled before applying the mascara. The end result is one amazing and pretty one.
Brightening The Eyes
To reduce puffiness under the eye, this age-old trick never fails. Take two chilled cucumber slices and lay them over your eyelids for several minutes. Cucumbers contain caffeine and ascorbic acid which reduce water retention, swelling, and puffiness under the eyes.
- Use a salmon color concealer under the eye to reduce redness and dark spots. The key is to use a neutralizing concealer. The salmon hues act as a neutralizer for dark uneven skin tone. Apply the concealer in a triangular shape under the eye and blend with a beauty blender for a flawless finish.
- Add some heat to your eyelash curler before using it to lift the eyes. Although the idea of putting something hot near your eye may scare you, the idea is only to warm your eyelash curler so that your eyelashes will stay put. Using an eyelash curler to elongate the eyelashes will make your eyes pop and make them appear bigger.
- Use white or a neutral color eyeliner in your waterline to instantly brighten tired eyes. This trick can make your eyes look twice their size. If you prefer darker eyeliner or want to widen the eyes a bit, apply a darker shade to the edges of your outer eye area.
Guest Expert And Artist Marie Holt!
- Smudged mascara? Don’t touch it! Let it dry. Go in a few minutes later with a dry Q-tip and it should flake right off and leave no smudge marks!
- Made a mistake that won’t flake right off? Grab your primer instead of makeup remover! It will remove any smudge without leaving a greasy residue in addition to prepping the skin to reapply any foundation/concealer it may have taken off.
- Layer your eyeshadows! Lightest to darkest to help with blending.
- Blending can be tricky! If you go in with a big fluffy brush and blend everything together, it will start to look muddy! Just blend out the edges in circular motions to keep each shade separate – but blended seamlessly.
- If you struggle with your eyeliner smudging/running or wearing off throughout the day, try layering it with eyeshadow. Line your eye with a black (or brown) eyeshadow first and then go over top of that with your eyeliner. It will help to keep it in place all day! Eyeshadow is also way easier to take off so if you initially make a mistake, it will be easier to fix than eyeliner is; use it as a guide for winged liner.
- For the longest wearing makeup look, layer creams and powders. Always go in with all liquids and cream products first, set with a pressed or loose setting powder and then go over top with your powder blush, bronzer/contour, etc. to really LOCK everything into place! For example: a cream blush with a powder blush over top will last much longer than just a cream or powder alone.
- Don’t forget your setting spray! We all know to set your makeup at the very end of application but have you tried layering your products with it? Use setting spray as a base over top of your primer – not only to add extra hydration but to prep the skin for products… Spray again over your foundation, again after powdering (this helps to settle any powderiness left over) – and then as usual, to finish the look off! You’ll be able to hop in a pool and still look flawless!
- Exfoliate your lips weekly to remove dead skin cells and get a smooth, gorgeous finish to your lipstick application. If your lips are dry or dehydrated, patchy spots can show trough your lipstick making it look blotchy and uneven. Eliminate the look of scaly lips by using a sugar scrub to exfoliate dry skin from your lips. If you don’t have an exfoliating product, apply lip balm or petroleum jelly to your lips while showering to allow the steam to soften your lips. Before exiting the shower, use a face towel to gently exfoliate for soft, kissable lips.
- This is an old trick to boost the staying power of your lipstick nevertheless it’s still a very useful tip. Apply your lipstick as you normally would, then lightly press a tissue against your lips. Dust your lips with translucent powder to set the lipstick so that it stays put throughout the day. Repeat the steps once more for maximum wear.
- You can create your own lipstick color palette by taking old, broken lipstick and putting it in a small multi-pill container. You could also use an old eyeshadow palette with several compartments to fill with lip colors. It may help to first scoop the lipstick out and melt it in a spoon over a candle or lighter before adding it to the palette. This way, the lipstick will form to shape the compartment giving you’re a brand new lipstick palette.
Guest Expert And Lip Artist Soolmoz!
- Like the natural no makeup look? Use eyeshadow or brow powder to fill in the little gaps in your brows . Set your brows by spraying hairspray onto a mascara wand and gently pushing them to their desired shape.
- Hate when transfer proof lipsticks make your limps look dry and crinkly? When applying a transfer proof lipstick prep the lips by exfoliating with a sugar and coconut oil scrub (you can easily make these at home using sugar or coffee grounds as well as olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil). After exfoliating I like to apply a “lip mask”, you can make a simple one using shea butter and a tiny bit of honey (let soak in, rinse ..then apply
- Love having a natural looking glow? Apply your normal base layer ( I like to apply a tinted sunblock but foundation works just as well!) Mix a bit of your base with your favorite highlighter and apply to the areas of your
face that naturally catch the light (cheek bones, eyebrow bones, slightly above brows)
- If you have a hard time getting crisp, straight lip lines try using a small square brush like the ones from sigma beauty’s precision lip line set. They make it a lot easier to get those nice clean lip lines . Also don’t forget
to practice! Everything takes time and practice to perfect . ( You should have seen MY lip lines when I started doing lip art! Wonky would have been an understatement)
- Want to add a bit of shimmer to your liquid lipstick? After applying the liquid lipstick (while its still yet) rub glitter onto your lips. Once the lipstick dries you will have transfer proof glitter lips!
- Have a hard time with eyeliner? If you ever mess up and need to correct a section grab a q-tip and dip it into some lotion! Use a twirling motion to clean up any mess. The lotion helps to swipe away the mistake without
smudging it all over your face (you can use the same technique for lipstick mistakes!)
- Have a hard time getting foundation not to look cakey? Dab a small amount of oil onto your beauty blender, dab onto the back of your hand then apply to your face like you would your foundation. This will help moisturize your skin and give you a nice glow!
- Want to try lip art but have a hard time with the tiny details? Try getting a magnifying mirror so you can see everything up close and buy some tiny nail art brushes (they tend to have a better selection for small details)
Don’t forget that everything takes practice, when I first started doing lip art it took me hours to finish the most basic looks.
- To fix chipped or broken lipstick, use a lighter and add heat to the area that’s broken. Press the broken ends firmly into each other and seal the by adding a little more heat. Place the tube in the refrigerator for approximately 20-30 minutes to let it set.
- Did you know that your lips are among the most beautiful parts of your face if well maintained? Well, ensure that you have the right makeup for the lips so that it reveals their real beauty. The first step is shaping your lips using a lip liner. This gives it a better definition.
- Use lip essence to ensure that your lips do not dry. Use elegance to color your lips using your desired lipstick. Adding some glossy dewy looks to your lips gives a plus on their beauty.
Skin Care – Focus Fabulous!
Your skin needs proper care and protection. In addition, it requires the right make-up for it to look good. Well applied make-up can be magical to your skin. It therefore should not look like a mystery to you. Your natural basic look should not cost you loads of tools, skills and time yet you too can become your own makeup artist and professional.
Are you seeking to maintain your flawless skin using makeup? Learn a few simple tips below that will make you a pro in your personal skin care. You will not require a professional to take care of your beautiful skin. You will also spend a little time and you will also understand what comes first.
- Most women and a few men with dark complexions would wish to have lighter or more even skin tone. There are several reasons behind dull and dark skin for example it can be hereditary, environmental pollution, dry skin, medical condition, overexposure to the sun, poor lifestyle choices, lack of proper diet and use of chemical based cosmetic products. More and more people strive to achieve flawless skin and as a result they tend to use skin lightening products that have flooded the market. However, such products contain harmful chemicals that instead of improving your complexion can damage your skin. Instead of you going for those expensive chemical filled cosmetic products.
- The key to maintaining healthy radiant skin starts from within. Drinking sufficient amounts of water will keep your skin hydrated and bright. Not drinking enough water can cause the skin to become dry and flaky. Over 25 percent of your skin is made up of water so it is essential to drink enough so that you may continue to have healthy, glowing skin.
- Exfoliate weekly to remove dead skin cells and get glowing skin. Dead skin cells can accumulate on the face and make your skin look dry, dull and rough. This could also contribute to clogged pores, breakouts, excessive oil production, and blemishes.
Guest Expert Jessica Gantzler
- Get used to mixing products! Why wear what everyone else is when you can customize the shade? Lipsticks, highlighters, ALL OF IT!
- False lashes can be tricky. Try wiggling the lash band back and forth to loosen it. This will make it easier to fit the natural curve of your eye.
- When mascara turns “goopy” before it’s the necessary time to throw it out… No biggie! Just add a few drops of water to the tube and stir with mascara wand.
- This may sound silly but DRINK YOUR H2O. Your skin will thank you and your makeup application will look awesome on a well-hydrated base.
- For even application of brow product, lipstick, etc: apply your product in steps, and every so often back away from the mirror so you can see the whole area and better judge your lines.
- For nights when you are too tired to wash your face before bed, leave a pack of makeup remover wipes next to your bed. Granted, nothing beats a freshly washed face but
- Turmeric powder: Turmeric powder has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. When used on the skin, turmeric powder eliminates harmful free radicals and toxins that damage your skin. On top of that, this powder helps in the production of collagen which keeps your skin soft, supple and glowing. For better results, mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with 4 or 5 tablespoons of gram flour and add milk or water to form a paste. Then apply this paste on your face and neck and leave to for at least 20 minutes then rinse with water. Apply this once or twice per week and you will see the amazing results.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids required by the skin for a beautifully radiant look. This oil also contains phenolic compounds that give coconut oil its antioxidant properties. When you apply this oil on your skin, it locks moisture in the skin keeping it moist and at the same time nourishes the skin with the essential fatty acids. Apply coconut oil every night before going to bed for beautifully healthy skin.
- Use Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is considered the best solution for most skin problems for a good reason. You may have noticed that almost all beauty products and soap contain Aloe Vera in them. This is because of its nourishing and healing properties that can rejuvenate the skin and give it a beautiful natural glow. All you need is to get a teaspoon of organic Aloe Vera gel, mix it with honey and milk in equal proportions and apply it on your face and neck and leave it for about 15 minutes then wash with clean warm water. Apply this mask once or twice a week for better results.
- Drink plenty of water: Natural skin care tips are not complete without the inclusion of water. Water has plenty of health benefits and among these benefits is the ability to help your skin remove impurity, toxins and to keep your skin moist and smooth. Water hydrates the body, it flushes toxins and excess oils and dirt that clogs the pores and form pimples. It is recommended that you drink at least two liters of water on a daily basis for a clean beautiful skin.
- Use lemon juice: Lemon is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is highly recommended for cleaning your face once in a while. Not only does lemon juice cleanses the skin, but eliminates all bacteria and fungi that would have accumulated on your skin surface. If you want brighter, beautiful skin, it a good idea to use lemon juice to clean your face three times a week.
- Papaya for healthy-looking skin: Ripe papaya fruit contains an enzyme, papain, which acts as a mild exfoliator. You can apply the fruit directly to your skin by rubbing it on your skin or you can make a paste by mixing saddle wood powder and honey to the mashed ripe papaya. Papaya clears the dirt and oil that can cause pimples and acne. Honey and saddle wood powder moisturizes the skin and makes the skin firmer giving it a youthful beautiful look.
- Honey: Honey is sweet and loved by many people who love the natural sweet taste of honey. Apart from this, honey can also be used for skin care. It contains antimicrobial and hygroscopic properties. Additionally, honey contains antioxidants that can help in keeping your skin smooth soft and above all healthy. The antimicrobial properties of honey reduce pimples and blemishes on your face. Simply apply organic honey on your face and leave it to stay for a few minutes, and then wash with warm water.
- Balance your Ph! “if you do ph wrong, your base is wrong.” In a State University of New York study, they found 4% VitB3 was 82 percent effective at skin clearing compared to only 63% skin clearing with a 1% clindamycin (an Antibiotic). That was also in a base cream with many pore clogging ingredients. So in our healthy natural base it is incredibly effective. VitB3 also helps uneven skin tone and skin texture. With its clarifying activity, VitB3 is one of the most effective natural treatments for tissue refinement where it enhances the skins ability to de-congest and clear acne while also evening out skin tone. We found it interesting to note as well that skin that is acne prone as been found to have a lower amount of VitB3, and the even more interesting note is that acne prone skin does not seem to be helped by internal consumption of VitB3, yet as a topical form it is helped greatly! So to get the great results you have to apply topically.
- Almonds: Most people think that almonds are nuts. Almonds are not nuts they are seeds that are rich in Vitamin E which is a powerful sun blocker. We all know the negative effects of extreme exposure to sunlight; you might get sunburns and in extreme cases you might be affected by the sun’s UV rays. Vitamin E helps in protecting the skin cells from the harsh UV rays and other factors that may generate free radicals that may damage the skin cells.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is known for its numerous benefits to the human body. Among these benefits is its ability to make your skin firmer and healthier. Yogurt contains animal protein that is essential in making your skin smooth, firm and resistant to wrinkles. For great complexion and smooth skin, it is advisable to drink a single serving of good quality yogurt on a daily basis.
- Your cell phone is a breeding ground for bacteria especially because we put our phone down anywhere and everywhere. Your hands are always touching the phone and your face is constantly pressed against the face piece. All of this contributes to the accumulation of excess bacteria, dirt, and grime. Get into the habit or wiping down your phone with alcohol on a daily basis to help your skin remain flawless.
- Rinse your face with cold water to close pores. It’s true, warm water opens the pores while cold water is what closes your pores. After cleansing your face with warm water, do a final rinse with cool to cold water to reduce the appearance of larger pores and to lock
Did you know that certain foods have the powerhouse ingredients that help in keeping the skin smooth and supple and even help in fighting age related problems? As beauty products become more high-tech, the best complexion cures and remedies for the skin come from the most natural ingredients: food. Here are some of the foods for healthy skin:
- Oranges: One of the most important ingredients in most skin care products is vitamin C. Oranges are a rich source of vitamin C and on top of that they have bleaching properties that can improve your skin tone. Studies show that a regular consumption of natural orange juice can significantly improve your skin texture and its suppleness. For effectiveness, oranges can be used in two ways as a paste (a combination of orange juice and turmeric powder) and grinding dried orange peels into powder and mixing it with a tablespoon of yogurt. After making either of the two pastes, you can apply the paste on your skin and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Honey: Natural honey contains bleaching properties that can improve the outward appearance of your skin. On top of that it can act as a moisturizer and it also contains antibacterial properties that help in eliminating acne spots as well as age spots. This gives your skin a lighter tone and makes it look even younger. You can simply apply the natural honey directly to your face or make a face mask from a combination of lemon juice and honey in equal proportions.
- Yogurt: This is a by-product of milk. Yogurt contains several nutrients essential for a healthy skin. On top of that yogurt contains lactic acid that acts as a bleaching agent. For better results you are advised to apply yogurt to your skin on a regular basis preferably on a daily basis.
- Lemons: Lemons are known for their acidic properties that work as a natural bleaching agent. Lemons are also rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C promotes the growth of new skin cells and the antioxidants in the lemons improve the skin complexion. You can simply rub a cut lemon over your skin once a day for fast and better results.
- Chocolate: Most people love eating chocolate because it is sweet. Very few know that chocolate can actually help you get a healthy glowing skin. Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa helps in hydrating your skin, making it supple and firm. A dark chocolate is rich in Flavonols, which is a strong type of antioxidant. For better results, you are encouraged to eat chocolate that contains 70% cocoa.
- Strawberries: Strawberries contain more vitamin C and anti-aging properties per serving than grapefruits or oranges. Strawberries are known to prevent formation of fine lines on the skin that cause wrinkles and also prevents dry skin. Vitamin C contained in strawberries helps in fighting free radicals that damages the skin leading to formation of fine lines. Therefore, if you want to look younger with a beautiful moist and ever glowing skin, it is a high time you considered eating strawberries on a regular basis.
- Green Tea: Green tea is regarded as a super food or drink because of its numerous health benefits. Green tea contains high levels of antioxidants with proven anti-inflammatory properties. When you drink it hot, this tea releases catechins, which is a type of antioxidant known for its anti-cancer properties. Drinking more than two cups daily will not only help in preventing skin cancer but it can also help in reversing the effects of sun damage on sun-exposed skin.
Instead of using those chemical filled skin care products available in the market, you can use the above natural methods to make your skin lighter and healthier.
Guest Expert Samantha Ebreo!
- I’m in my 30s so I’m all about taking care of my skin to look refreshed and awake. So, I take time every morning and night to thoroughly cleanse my skin and use serums and moisturizers to gently lift away dirt and put some great nutrients back in.
- I love to use cream products with subtle sheen to enhance the radiance and youthful glow of my skin rather than matting it down with powders.
- Lately I have ditched heavy liner and fake lashes and, instead, have been going for a glossy lid with tons of mascara! It looks so fresh and youthful (not to mention it cuts my makeup time in half)!
- I work out! Seriously, I know we all hear about the health benefits of exercise but no one talks about how amazing your skin, nails, and hair look when you really take care of your body. This was a real eye opener for me.
- Instead of lotions with heavy fragrances and synthetic ingredients I like to use oils to moisturize my skin when I get out of the shower to help prevent my skin from drying out.
More from Samantha @
Natural hair treatment methods can be a great help to the general appearance of your hair. These remedies are affordable and they are very effective in making your hair look healthy and generally beautiful. Unhealthy looking hair and split ends can be as a result of using harsh shampoos, dyes and bleaches, poor hair straightening practices, blow drying, too much exposure to the sun, lack of adequate nourishment and lack of moisture. The following are the best natural hair care treatment methods which will leave your hair looking great:
- Egg shampoo: Among the best natural home remedies for split ends, is egg shampoo. This is the simplest yet very effective treatment for split ends. All you need to have is one egg, an ounce of rosemary and hot water. The only thing that you might buy from a convenient store here is the rosemary but the rest are available in your house. Steep the rosemary in hot water for approximately 15 to 20 minutes then leave it cool. After the water cooling down you can now beat your egg into it. Ensure that they mix evenly then massage the mixture into your hair thoroughly. Leave it for some time and then rinse your hair the same way you do with a regular shampoo.
- Wash it regularly, with warm not hot water. And When shampooing it, work on the scalp not the hair ends.
- Papaya hair pack: Papayas are known for their long lasting nourishing effects on hair. For this natural split ends remedy you need a very ripe papaya. The size of the papaya depends on the size and length of your hair for example if you have thick long hair you will need a larger fruit. Therefore choose the right size for your hair. Cut the papaya fruit into halves and get rid of the seeds and the skin. Blend the fruit until it is pulpy then add a glass of yogurt and mix evenly. Carefully massage the mixture into your hair then leave it stay for about 30 minutes then rinse it with warm water.
- Castor oil: Castor oil is known for its numerous uses as far human health is concerned. However, when used as one of the natural home remedies for split ends, you do not have to drink it for better results. All you have to do is to mix the oil with olive oil and mustard oil in equal proportions and apply the mixture into your hair. After applying the mixture, wrap the hair in a towel for about 30 minutes. Wash the mixture out and shampoo if necessary.
- Brush your natural hair twice daily
- Depending on your hair type, always consult a hair expert
- Honey: Honey is among the best natural remedies for split ends, especially when mixed with curd. In this treatment all you need to do is get half cup of curd then mix it with a tablespoon of natural honey. Massage the mixture into your hair thoroughly paying attention to the ends. Let the mixture stay for 20 minutes then rinse it with water. Honey has essential nutrients required for proper hair growth. This remedy will leave your hair looking gorgeous and shiny.
- Avocado: When you eat avocado on a regular basis you will notice that your skin and hair will become extremely soft and glossy. The natural avocado oil is known to make the skin soft and its effects to the hair cannot be ignored. For better results in treating split ends you do not have to eat plenty of avocados. All you need to do is to mash an avocado fruit until soft. Then damp your hair a little and massage the fruit thoroughly into your hair. During this process ensure that all your split ends are covered with the fruit. Leave the fruit to stay for about 15 to 30 minutes then rinse it out with water. For extra sheen you can add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- When shampooing it, work on the scalp not the hair ends
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is one of the most effective natural home remedies for split ends, which is loved by many. Coconut oil moisturizes, strengthens, repairs and prevents tearing of hair. Simply apply the coconut oil on dry hair and wash after a few minutes. Then shampoo and condition as usual. Coconut oil also prevents formation of dead skin that leads to dandruff and it ensures that your scalp remains healthy and moisturized at all times. Additionally, coconut oil contains essential nutrients required to keep your hair dark, shiny and above all healthy. It is important to point out that coconut oil is non-greasy and is easy to apply.
- We use different skin care products, lathers, slathers and sprays every day. The skin acts as a sponge and takes in all these chemicals. Have you ever thought of the harm that these chemicals could have on your skin and body over prolonged periods of using these products? It is time to go natural by reducing use of fragrance, ensuring that the products are really natural, choosing less toxic and recyclable packaging, or prepare your own beauty products from home.
Guest Expert Kelsey G (MakeupByKelsey)!
- The type of makeup you’re using is very important! Make sure your makeup is non comedogenic, oil free, and free of any harmful chemicals if your suffer from acne! This might be causing breakouts! Switch to mineral based makeup and products that become one with your skin! Don’t fight with your skin! Give it what it needs. Start with looking at your primers and setting powders! Making the switch can get you one step closer to clearer skin!
- Acne Acne Acne! They’re are so many products and remedies out there! I suffered from acne for such a long time! Medication, drugstore products, and homemade recipes! Remember to exfoliate! Your skin needs to replenish. I recently started to exfoliate very gently with some white wash cloths using a new one every time I washed my face! This not only helped give my skin new life, but it cleared up my acne within a month!!
- To pop a pimple or to leave it be! That is the question! Popping or not popping pimples is a controversial question. Despite what they might say about it, it’s okay to pop pimples! As long as it s done properly! I like to use two ends of a cotton swab to press and squeeze any inflamed pores I have on my face. Afterwards, disinfect with a cleansing pad and then apply a spot cream to dry everything out! You will wake up in the morning with it flat and on its way to recovery!
- Make coconut oil your best friend! It has so many benefits! DIY a face mask of body scrub! Use it for a hydrating moisturizer or hair mask. Don’t stop there, you can throw it in a smoothie or use it to cook with.
- Applying eyeliner can be difficult! Precision is key. To get a sharp line without pulling off any foundation, tape your along natural eye line from your crease to your eyebrow. But before you do so, stick the tape to the back of your hand so it won’t take off any foundation after peeling away the tape!
- Lastly, beauty starts from within – love yourself! Look in the mirror everyday and say one thing you love about yourself! Keep your head up and have a positive mind! You’re beauty will shine with or without makeup!
- Visit Kelsey G (MakeupByKelsey) @
Green Beauty and Non Comedogenic (Zero comedogenic!)
- What is Green Beauty?
- What is Non Comedogenic?
- What is PH Spray, acid mantle , etc
- Knowing your self – Your face speaks a lot about you, work on it. Apply appropriate make up on different parts of your face to give it a natural look. Your face contributes a lot to your confidence. Your make up should therefore be in your mind every day. Before you leave your house, make sure your face, hair and dress code describes who you feel you are. Feel yourself.
- Doing cleansing and detox supplements
- What is “blue light” and how it effects your eyes? Understanding this could make a real difference in your life.Mary Ellen @ iamgreenminded.com studied exactly how this works and wrote a great blog post about it.: Hacks to keep your smartphone from wrecking your sleep – with references!
- Appropriate exercise and being active, like everyday walks
- Start your day with water: Health experts agree that drinking a glass of water in the morning is helpful to the body. Water helps rehydrate your body after a restful night. Either a glass of cold or warm water will do. However, adding fresh lemon juice to the warm water will make it even better. The warm water relaxes the digestive system and the lemon help in cleaning of the tract and it enhances the production of more blood cells. This will ensure that not only is your skin rehydrated but also harmful toxins are eliminated.
- Use natural products!
- Proper hygiene and health care
- Balanced diet – we have all heard, “You are what you eat” Eating a diet that’s rich in anti-inflammatory compounds is a great tool (See the full Harvard Health Publication article here)
- Truth be told, the health choices you make on a daily basis make a huge difference in how you look and your general health. Your skin being the largest body organ will be the first to show whether your habits are good or bad. Good habits will of course lead to good complexions and healthy skin, while poor choices will lead to bad looking damaged skin. Your nails and hair are also affected by your health. Brittle nails and hair loss will mostly signify that the root cause of the problem is internal. Here are female wellness beauty tips for healthy skin
Guest Expert Emily Craven!
- Everyone should have at LEAST one good cleanser and moisturizer. Skin will always be better when it’s clean and hydrated.
- When applying setting powder, apply to T-zone only. This will keep you matte, but not flat.
- Spring and summer are definitely the time to try brighter pinks and corals on cheeks and lips!
- I ❤️ adding a little bronzer on top of my blush for a summer glow.
- Have multiple foundations on-hand, so matter the occasion you have the coverage and finish you want.
- My secret for making a powder foundation look flawless is a hydrating setting spray.
Wellness Habits Cont’d
- Always have a water bottle with you: Not only should you start your day with a glass of water, but you should always have a bottle of water during the day. Water keeps our body organs functioning smoothly and it also helps in flushing toxins. Through sweating, the skin remains hydrated and harmful toxins are eliminated. This is very important to the skin and keeping it smooth and supple.
- Trade the afternoon coffee for tea: Coffee is good for certain body functions and as such, you should not cut it out entirely. Instead of drinking coffee in the afternoon, consider drinking tea especially herbal teas. Tea is very rich in vitamin C antioxidants, and other essential minerals required for clear skin. Additionally, herbal tea like peppermint, green tea and ginger help in stimulating the digestive process which is linked to clear beautiful skin.
- Eat green leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are a nutritional backbone for a good reason. Nutritionists point out that the chlorophyll in green vegetables helps in eliminating toxins, pesticides, heavy metals and help in detoxifying the body. You can eat them raw as a salad or make vegetable juice or smoothie. You can also cook them but if you overheat them you will destroy the nutritional content of green vegetables.
- Get adequate sleep: Sleep is essential to the proper functioning of all body organs. It relaxes the body’s inflammatory cells which play an important role in restoring hyaluronic acid and collagen. These two are important molecules that give the skin its natural glow and suppleness. Additionally, adequate sleep also rejuvenates your immune system enabling the system to fight disorders like eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
- Exercise: Exercises have very many benefits to the human health. Apart from keeping you fit, enhancing circulation of oxygen and blood, exercises also help in dealing with stress and stress hormones. Stress is known to wreak havoc not only on the body but also on our looks. Stress can cause breakouts, hair loss, brittle nails and overwhelmed mind and body. Therefore, engage in exercises that will keep your mind engaged and prevent stress from creeping in.
- Avoid touching your face: Many people tend to touch their faces every now and then without even knowing it. It is an unhealthy habit that most of us do. We use our hands for doing a lot of things and touching almost anything including bacteria and germs. When you touch your face knowingly or unknowingly, you transfer the germs and bacteria to the face and leave it there. This can cause pimples, acne, and other skin infections due to clogged pores.